Teeth that are badly affected by plaque build-up will require specific dental procedures to be saved. While most people are familiar with the tooth extraction option for saving them the agony of living with pain and discomfort associated with tooth decay, there are other treatments your Bronx, NY dentist may recommend to help you keep your tooth. Fortunately, Dr. Gandhi is one such dentist who uses various therapies to save teeth in need of extraction.
Root canal treatment
Gone are the days when a tooth extraction was the only option for treating a badly affected tooth. A root canal is among the dental treatments your dentist may recommend to help save your decaying tooth. Apart from shielding you from an extraction, your doctor will also restore the tooth’s function to enable you to resume enjoyment of your favorite foods.
During the process, your dentist will remove your tooth’s damaged pulp and nerve. After removing the pulp, he or she will clean the tooth’s inside before sealing it to prevent bacteria from seeping through. Since you will be under local anesthesia, chances are high you will not feel any pain.
The affected pulp can have adverse effects on your teeth. When the healthy pulp gets infected, it breaks down and forces the bacteria to multiply within your pulp chamber. Over time, decayed debris and bacteria will then cause tooth abscess, which might eventually lead to a swelling that is likely to spread to your face and neck.
Your dentist will recommend a root canal treatment when you start showing the following signs:
- Swollen and painful gums
- A sharp pain, especially with biting and chewing
- Deep decay
- Dark gums
- Tooth sensitivity
- Cracked or chipped tooth
- Gum pimples near the decaying tooth
Laser Gum Treatment
Laser dentistry is an alternative to traditional surgery that allows your dentist to use light energy to enhance your smile. During the relatively painless process, the specialist will be able to kill bacteria and trigger bone growth around your healthy teeth. The procedure treats various dental problems, including tooth decay, gum disease, and hypersensitivity, with your dentist aiming to reverse bacterial damaging effects to help you flaunt a healthier, more attractive smile.
Unlike traditional gum treatments that require sutures and scalpels, laser treatment has various benefits including:
- Comfort. The treatment has minimal or no bleeding, no charring, and minimal swelling. You will not have to experience uncomfortable vibrations or drill noises during the process either. Laser treatments also eliminate the anxiety and stress typical of most dental works because it is fast and pain-free. Since the procedure is minimally invasive, your mouth will start the healing process immediately after your dentist is through with this treatment.
- Minimal infection risk. The laser energy during the procedure acts as a sterilizer on the treated area, thus minimizing your chances of developing a bacterial infection.
- No injections. This treatment will be your best option if you are afraid of numbing injections. Instead of injections, your doctor will use a light anesthetic spray.
Where a toothache can be among the pains that cause sleepless nights and disruptions to your daily enjoyment and routine, be sure to contact Dr. Nishita Gandhi to learn how your damaged tooth can be salvaged.